Unless prior authorization is given, all classes are for ages 18 and above. Please contact the studio for pre-approval BEFORE purchasing a class for a minor.
CLASS PARTICIPANT AGREEMENT STUDENTS UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO THE FOLLOWING
Enrollment in Indian River Clay classes entitles you to the following:
Group instruction provided by experienced ceramic artists.
Studio access ONLY during the hours of the class.
Shared space to work on your project.
Access to studio tools, equipment, and glazes during the hours of your class.
Safe areas to store your project in the studio between classes.
Firing of projects completed during the class sessions.
Arrive promptly for the start of class.
Please do not arrive more than 15 minutes before the start of class.
It is your responsibility to arrange your schedule to be available during class times. “Make-up classes for absences may not be offered.
Indian River Clay equipment or tools are available for use only while in the studio.
Please turn off your phone or set your notifications to silent during class. If unavoidable, phone calls should be taken outside to avoid disruptions.
Manage your time so your project is safely stored and your work area clean by the end of each class session.Please do not ask for additional time to complete a project.
Do not handle or touch anyone else’s pottery.
Respect fellow students’ space, tools, and materials at all times. Communicate politely and work in a safe manner. We ask that all be mindful of noise levels. Courtesy and respect towards each other isexpected at all times.
Discrimination on the basis of gender, age, nationality, race, or sexual orientation is not acceptable. Mutual respect and patience are always valued at Indian River Clay.
Instructors have multiple students requiring attention. Please be mindful and do not monopolize their time. The class size is limited to allow all students adequate time with the instructor.
Continued participation in any class is at the discretion of the instructor.We reserve the right to revoke all studio privileges if studio rules are not followed with NO refund of your fees.
Clay used during the class must have been purchased from Indian River Clay and is not included as part of your class fee.
ALL class projects MUST be marked with initials AND class number. If marking your pieces with anything other than initials, such as a symbol, please inform your instructor or the administrator so it can be noted. This is important so we know who to speak with if there is an issue. Class projects that are not signedWILL NOT BE FIRED.
Place works in process, and completed items that are drying, on the designated classwork shelves. Use a small sticky note to label any items with your name, class number and date.
Please use ware boards to store your pots while drying. Do not store pots on bats unless you own the bat.
Access the kiln room ONLY to place completed and fully dry projects ready for bisque or glaze firing on the appropriate shelves. DO NOT TOUCH OR MOVE ANY WORK THAT IS ON THE SHELVES! Items are fragile and easily broken. See your instructor if you needassistance.
Please clean to a standard that you would expect to find in the studio when you arrive.
Ware boards, bats, wheels, tables, and floors around your workspace must be cleaned thoroughly before leaving the studio. If more than one person used a space, such as a wedging table, communicate with others using the studio to ensure the area is left clean.
Studio tools and materials, portable equipment, and sponges, are to be cleaned thoroughly and put back where they belong after use.
The safety of staff, members, and students, as well as members of the public, is of paramount importance. The biggest threat to human health in pottery is airborne silica. The creation of dust is to be avoided in every step of the process, and where dust is unavoidable, ventilation, local filters and masks shall be used. All cleanup methods of ware, studio or equipment must be wet. No dry sweeping, sanding or similar activities are allowed. All sanding or grinding should be done outside only. Anyone found repeatedly violating the safety rules may be banned from the studio.
Loose hair or loose clothing or jewelry must be tied back or removed when using any equipment where it might get caught or catch on fire.
Know the location of the first aid kit. Use universal precautions. Report to instructor or admin if you notice any item in short supply.
Fire extinguishers are placed throughout the building. Please note where they are located.
Liquid spills on the floor should be mopped up immediately.
Report any hazardous conditionimmediately.
Because of environmental hazards and distractions to those pursuing their craft, infants, children, and pets maynot be in the studio.
Green ware that has become bone dry before appropriate trimming/finishing will be recycled.
Bisque ware must be glazed within 2 weeks of firing and any bisque that has been on the shelf for 30 days will be disposed of without notice or compensation to the artist.
The deadline to pick up completed class pieces is 2 months from the last class date. Any unclaimed pieces will be donated to the studio or discarded without notice or compensation to the artist. Ware at any stage of completion can be picked up Monday through Friday, 9am-3pm. Please contact the studio if you need to make alternate arrangements beyond the deadline.
Indian River Clay is not responsible for any materials, personal items, ware, tools, or equipment left in the studio. Any items left behind by anyone who has not been active in the studio for 30 days will become the property of the studio. Items that are left behind and are not labeled with the owner’s name become studio property immediately.
No guarantee is offered, explicit or implied, regarding the quality or serviceability of fired work. All should be aware of the risks and unpredictability of the ceramic process. Every precaution will be taken to ensure the best possible outcome for every firing. You agree that you will not hold Indian River Clay, it’s staff, volunteers or any other person associated with the studio responsible for work that is damaged or defective in any way while in the studio at any stage of process. Indian River Clay is not responsible for loss, theft, or breakage.
Class participants will be notified of weather cancellations via email. If you are in doubt if class will be canceled due to weather, please call, or email the studio.
INDIAN RIVER CLAY, INC. WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT AND PERMISSION TO PHOTOGRAPH
1. In consideration for receiving permission to participate as a Member, Visitor or Student in a Class, I hereby RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE, Indian River Clay Inc. (“IRC”) its Board of Directors, agents, servants, or employees (hereinafter referred to as RELEASEES) from any and all liability, claims, demands, actions and causes of action whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including death, that may be sustained by me, or any of the property belonging to me, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES, or otherwise, while participating in such activity, or while in, on or upon the premises where the activity is being conducted.
2. I am fully aware of the risks involved and hazards connected with use of IRC’s studio and this activity and materials used. I hereby elect to voluntarily participate in said activity with full knowledge that said activity may be hazardous to me and my property. I VOLUNTARILY ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISKS OF LOSS, PROPERTY DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY, INCLUDING DEATH, that may be sustained by me, or any loss or damage of property owned by me, as a result of being engaged in such activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
3. I further hereby AGREE TO INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS the RELEASEES from any loss, liability, damage or costs, including court costs and attorney fees, that they may incur due to my participation in said activity, WHETHER CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES or otherwise.
4. It is my express intent that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall bind the members of my family and spouse, if I am alive, and my heirs, assigns and personal representative, if I am deceased, and shall be deemed as a RELEASE, WAIVER, DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the above-named RELEASEES. I hereby further agree that this Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Florida.
5. In executing this document I also grant permission to IRC to take photographs of me understanding that IRC may use such photograph(s) for any lawful purpose including publicity, advertising and website content. I understand that I may revoke this authorization at any Ame by notifying IRC in writing. The revocation will not affect any actions taken before the receipt of such written notification. 6. IN SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I ACKNOWLEDGE AND REPRESENT THAT I have read the foregoing Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement, understand it and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; no oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing wri]en agreement, have been made; I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent; and I execute this Release for full, adequate and complete consideration fully intending to be bound by same.
Indian River Clay Class Cancellation & Refund Policy
For cancellations more than 14 DAYS before the first class day, a refund less 15% handling charge will be issued. For cancellations within 14 days before the start of class, class cost will be forfeited unless the space is resold. If the space is resold, a refund less 15% will be issued. We are unable to offer credits for future classes.
COVID-19 | Updated August 10, 2022
In response to the community's need for safety and well-being, IRC is implementing new safety procedures for our members, class participants, and studio guests. º If you have a fever, cough, sneezing or generally do not feel well, please stay home. º If you are not fully vaccinated, we prefer you to wear a mask while in the studio. We are working diligently to keep informed and adjust policies, to help ensure we remain open and safe, and are taking proactive measures. Thank you for your continued support of Indian River Clay and thank you most of all for your understanding.
Like the Studio, our website is a works in progress, adding information on a daily basis. Please visit regularly to stay updated on our progress. If you are interested in being a studio member, please visit our membership pagefor more information.
If you would like to be involved, please contact us.